We seek dedicated, caring, and well-rounded team-players for our openings. Pay and benefits at Spring Lake Ranch are competitive and many intangible rewards of working here include homemade meals (often sourced right from our gardens and pastures), access to pristine Spring Lake and hiking trails right outside your door, a whole host of friendly farm animals, and a community of collegial and supportive coworkers, all nestled in 700 acres of the beautiful Green Mountains.
Our administrative offices are home to an amazing staff of hard-working people.
Current Employment Opportunities
House Advisor/Crew Leader - Accepting Applications for Fall 2020
Classification: Full time; temporary; hourly/non-exempt position
Reports to: Work Program Director
House Advisors/Crew Leaders provide live-in support, structure, and guidance to residents through informal contact, house activities, and work crew activities to create a positive environment and comfortable home-like atmosphere. They are role models for clients/residents on developing and living a healthy, full life.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
HOUSE ADVISING RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide live-in support, structure, and guidance to residents through informal contact and house activities to create a positive environment and comfortable home-like atmosphere.
- Assume various roles such as mentor, guide, and advocate to support the recovery, well-being, and community experience for residents.
- Assist the residents in the house with creating, shaping, and attaining their goals.
- Help residents foster a sense of giving outside of themselves and, when needed, protect them from themselves.
- Develop/apply interpersonal skills on on-going basis including: flexibility, empathy, patience, effective communication, careful listening, limit setting, and firm personal boundaries.
- Assist residents with housecleaning and bedroom cleaning.
- Ensure that the house is adequately covered at all times.
- Help with urgent emotional support and crisis intervention as needed.
- Work evening “Duty Nights” and drive Friday “Town Trip” as assigned.
- Wash dishes when scheduled.
- Initiate activities, games, and conversation with residents on weekends and evenings.
- Support and collaborate with the staff person who is doing med administration by proactively finding individuals who are late for meds, including those who must be awoken.
- Respectfully wake up individuals who would otherwise be late for morning meds and morning meeting.
- Provide transportation for Work Program, recreational activities, house outings, emergencies, etc. as needed.
RESIDENT ADVISING RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As part of advising team for several residents in your house, support the CTL in the development and implementation of “action plans” to guide residents’ experience and attainment of recovery goals during Ranch stay.
- Attend weekly team meetings.
- Communicate frequently with your residents, his/her CTL and resident advisor.
CREW LEADING RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Foster resident sense of personal growth, meaningful contribution, and social belonging through positive work crew interactions and experience.
- Ensure safety through worksite hazard management, proper tool/machinery technique, and following of procedures and policies.
- Communicate with residents’ teams regarding concerns observed on crew, including non-attendance.
- Contribute to weekly work program notes (green sheets).
- Balance individual resident needs/challenges with task productivity.
- Encourage/teach new skills and appropriately challenge residents to develop the self-confidence that comes from accomplishing a task.
- Assist co-workers in getting the crew together and starting work on time.
- Cleaning up the work area and putting tools away after each work crew.
- Coordinate and plan with work program leaders to develop projects and work plan.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES FOR LEAD HOUSE ADVISORS:
- Mentor and coach new house advisors/crew leaders.
- Perform crew ‘niche’ position.
- Certified to do medication administration according to SLR protocols.
- Develop and facilitate group activities for residents.
- Assist and co-lead clinical groups with clinical staff.
- Assist with hiring, training, and scheduling of House Advisor team.
- Demonstrates an understanding and commitment to the SLR Mission, Vision and Core Values.
- Maintain respectful, therapeutic, and supportive relationships with Spring Lake Ranch at all times.
- Maintain resident/client privacy by keeping personal information confidential in accordance with federal HIPAA legislation and Spring Lake Ranch policies and procedures.
- Willing to draw upon own personal talents, interests, and passions to develop special programming for the community and develop relationship with individuals.
- Participate in holidays and other Ranch special events throughout the year.
- Attend weekly staff and department meetings and staff development opportunities, meeting the licensing training requirements for position.
- Crisis intervention and assistance as needed.
- Other duties as requested.
- Desire to live and work with many different kinds of people in a diverse community setting.
- Ability to establish and maintain firm personal/professional boundaries in a therapeutic community setting.
- Previous experience in mental health and/or substance abuse recovery preferred.
- Knowledge and experience of Windows OS and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to participate in physical work and physical activity in all possible outdoor weather conditions, activities may include of outdoor work/active games/sports and moderate lifting/carrying of up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and collaboratively as part of team.
- Ability to accept supervision, feedback, and constructive criticism.
- Strong interpersonal skills and flexibility.
- Respect for others, compassion, patience.
- Willingness to learn and to try new things.
- Good judgment, responsibility, dependability.
- Enthusiasm, energy, initiative.
- Limit-setting and conflict resolution skills.
- Driver’s license and good driving record.
- Click here to fill out our employment application, and send this with a cover letter indicating your interest and resume to Casey at firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Mail the above materials to 1169 Spring Lake Road, Cuttingsville, VT 05738 or fax to (802) 492-3331.